2015’s Top Travel Destinations
5 Ecotourism Experts Weigh In
The New Year brings with it an annual rite of passage as reliable as the swallows returning to Capistrano or the Great Migration of Kenya and Tanzania. Every travel magazine under the sun feels it their moral obligation to predict the top travel destinations for the coming year, while every travel blogger (including us) waxes rhapsodic about the wanderlust adventures that dance like so many sugarplums in their heads.
This year, instead of sharing our own 2015 travel wish list (which, if we’re being honest, remains much the same as it has in years past), we decided to consult a team of five experts on ecotourism to discover what they consider 2015’s top travel destinations. Their responses weren’t based on dreams, but on analytical data regarding the responsible, sustainable tourism opportunities each place has to offer.
Our panel consisted of five of the field’s most respected thought leaders:
• Jeff Greenwald– Founder of Ethical Traveler
• Dr Martha Honey– Director of the Center for Responsible Travel
• Soraya Shattuck– Founder of Sustainable Tourism Solutions
• Jonathan Tourtellot– Geotourism Editor of National Geographic Traveler and principal of The Destination Stewardship Center
• Megan Epler Wood– Founder of The International Ecotourism Society and Director of Harvard’s International Sustainable Tourism Initiative
Although there were a few countries that appeared on multiple lists (including Costa Rica and India), we’ve narrowed their responses down to 15 sustainable travel destinations you should consider visiting in 2015…